Friday, October 9, 2015

woven into fine print



woven into fine print is up! It's been one week, but I finally got around to taking photos of the show, and I've got to say: I'm pretty happy with it! This is the first time I've felt quite so satisfied with a show right after setting it up. Such a good feeling.

The largest wall plus its adjacent
A lot of white and off-white, which is definitely my style. Also the incorporation of textiles into my work -textiles being my other better half (the other better half being printmaking, of course) - makes me feel as though this first solo show came together really well. In addition to which it also encompasses most of the things I explore in my artwork, namely language, process itself (whether it be printmaking or textiles, or even language), and the materials I use.

"How we do one thing is how we do anything" (Laura Spencer King, via Apiece Apart). This quote resonates with me a lot, and I think that it applies to my work: the way I approach printmaking is the way I approach knitting or weaving, and I'm not sure whether I chose both these time-consuming, labour-intensive, and detail-oriented processes because that is the way I am, or if I am the way I am because I chose to do them. I'm glad I found printmaking, and glad that I have finally been able to incorporate my textiles into my print work.

I also must extend a big thank you to Shirley & co. once more for helping me with my install! I could not have done it without them (or if I did, I would have had to stay overnight).



Check out my first solo show at Gales Gallery (York University, in the ACW building, right beside the waterslide/fountain)! The reception is Thursday October 15, from 6-9, and I guarantee good food and company, as well as fibre-related fun all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment